As I lay wide awake in the middle of the night, I can’t help my mind from wandering…
Are there good remedies to keep your better half from sleeping like a log ( a noisy one ) next to you ?
It’s quite unbecoming ! On top of preventing you from falling asleep again, it can only highlight how good his sleep is, at least obviously, much better than yours.
At this stage, I am even open to old-fashioned cures. Something like what to feed them…
Seems like the onion soup we had did not do the trick.
It still had the merit to be tasty, so let me share the recipe.
6 large onions
Thyme, 2 bay leaves
1,5L Beef stock
200mL white wine
1 spoon flour
1. Slice the onions thinly. There is a recurrent debate on how to prevent the crying. Although I do wear ridiculous glasses to protect myself it does not prove very efficient. Old-fashion tricks seem to fail me these days !
2. In a large pan melt the butter and fry the onions softly with thyme and bay leaves for about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile prepare the beef stock. Pay attention if you are using dehydrated tablets : check recommended number of tablets to match 1.5L of water to make sure it is flavoured enough. Mine was quite light and pale.
4. Once the onions have melted in the pan, add a generous spoon of flour and mix well.
5. Then add the white wine, let it cook a couple of minutes before adding the stock.
6. Bring to the boil, then let it simmer for 20 minutes or so.
7. Pour some soup in bowls that can be in the oven. Sprinkle with croutons and grated gruyère, and let it roast a couple of minutes in the oven until the cheese has melted and browned.
You can serve with crispy bacon – to please your better half.
And now my eyelids are heavy again… The onion soups might have sleeping properties after all… Or is my blogging so boring that it makes me sleep…
I’d rather advocate for the first option.
Good night and enjoy your meal!