Amazing news : you can bin all your self-help books ! According to old wives tales, not only am I about to share with you a soup but also a beauty recipe. They say if you eat carrots your complexion will get brighter and so will your bum’s skin… It’s also said you’ll become more amiable if you’ve been acting like a bear with a sore head but that’s another story. If I can manage to feed you and have you look better I’m already beyond happy.
- 400g potatoes, the Mona Lisa kind is good or any other which is recommended for soups
- 600g carrots
- 200g spring onions
- 250g butter + 50g diced… that’s where I take the liberty to freestyle and reduce butter quantities
- 1 pinch of coarse salt
- 1,3L of chicken stock : if not home-made ( I won’t blame you ) go for a low sodium and organic stock
- 2 dl of heavy cream
- Prepare the vegetables : peel and dice the potatoes, carrots and spring onions. Brown the onions on slow heat with 50g butter, then add the carrots for a few minutes. Salt lightly, add 1,2L of the stock and the potatoes. Let it cook slowly for 40 minutes with a lid on.
- Mix until you get a smooth texture and add the heavy cream. On a week day after long hours at work you can stop here and enjoy, nobody will judge you.
- If you’re feeling like you want to upgrade your ordinary soup : prepare an additional 200g of carrots, dice them in tiny cubes. Melt 50g of butter in a skillet, add the carrots dice with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Let it brown gently for a few minutes, then add 1dl od stock, and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Spread the carrot dices, chervil and croutons on the soup before serving.
Recipe for croutons can be found here.
Served with toasted walnut bread and good Comte cheese, this soup makes a very decent meal. ( see picture )
If your toddler is around….
- Have her name all the ingredients you lay on your kitchen counter
- Let her prepare the chervil leaves
The soup recipe comes from Pomme de Terre by Frederic Anton.