When not in Rome, you can still do what the Romans do. Meaning, for the matter at hand : Tiramisu ! Ingredients
- 1 pack of Italian ladyfingers
- 500g mascarpone
- 5 eggs (very fresh as they’ll be raw)
- 140g sugar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 liter very strong coffee
- 1 dL dry Marsala (Italian wine)
- 100g powder cacao
- Break the eggs and keep the whites in a separate jar from the yolks. Whisk the yolks with the sugar until they whiten. Fold in gently the mascarpone
- Whisk the egg whites and add the lemon juice at the last minute. Add to the previous mix, incorporating gently not to break the whites. ( bottom to top movement always in the same direction )
- Mix the coffee with the Marsala wine in a bowl. Dip the biscuits, very quickly so they don’t get all mushy. If the coffee is hot it’s a case of 2 seconds before they’re too soaked !
- Line your dish with a first row of biscuits. Then pour half of the mascarpone mix and sprinkle cacao powder. Make a second layer of biscuits, cover with the remainder of the mascarpone.
- Let it rest in the fridge and add a final sprinkle of cacao powder right before presenting your dish.
Enjoy while listening to Italian music !
In summer the red berries tiramisu is something to die for. Simply replace the coffee and Marsala with fruity raspberry liquor and juice. Add a layer of raspberries or other berries of your liking between the biscuits and mascarpone.